M. O'Mahoney Company has been supplying construction and building supplies since 1873. The name originated with its founder and owner, Michael O'Mahoney.
Michael O'Mahoney, was born in County Cork, Ireland, and died in 1910, within a few months of being sixty two years of age. In his early association with Lawrence affairs, he was the superintendent of streets. He is best remembered, however, as a contractor, and in that trade was responsible for some of the very large public works' contracts of New England. As a contractor, he was in partnership with Jesse Moulton, of Boston, and they were responsible for the construction of the Clinton Dam, the Spot Pond Reservoir, Fields Point, Rhode Island sewer, and Stony Brook sewers, of Boston, Brookline Park, and the first filter gatherer in Lawrence, which was the second largest in the country at the time. Among the many other large contracts they carried through may be mentioned the Duck Bridge in Lawrence, MA. Michael, at one time, was one of the largest public works' contractors in New England.
Edward A. O'Mahoney was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, on June 19, 1885, the son of Michael and Ellen G. (Donovan) O'Mahoney.
Edward A. O'Mahoney, who continued the contracting coal and builders' supply business established by his father in 1873, was not born until twelve years after that time. He attended the Lawrence public schools, graduating from the high school in the class of 1904. From the high school he proceeded to the Phillips Academy at Andover. His academic education ended there, and he entered the employ of a public works' contractor. From that time until 1914 he was employed successively on the following jobs: Extension of New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad between West Roxbury and Needham ; the Washington street tunnel and Cove street bridge, and the State street tunnel
— all in Boston; East river tunnel in New York City, and Pennsylvania
station there ; paved Main street, in Norfolk, Virginia; and the
Lachine aqueduct, from Côte Saint Paul to Montreal.
He then returned to
the United States and worked on the Ayer and Wood mills in Lawrence,
but later entered the employ of the M. O'Mahoney estate (his father
having died), and successfully completed the Bloody Brook sewer in
Lawrence; built part of Lowell boulevard and paved many streets in
Lawrence; also worked on the Boston & Maine railroad's Mystic wharf
in Boston ; built part of the boulevard between Lynn and Salem, and the
foundation for the Grossman building in Lynn.
Since then he had
confined his operations to Lawrence and vicinity. The original business
headquarters were on Winter street, Concord street being a later
address. However, the address since 1891 had been at No. 8 West street,
When the World War came, in 1917, it seriously affected
Edward A. O'Mahoney, even though he was above the age of the selective
draft, he could not resist the inclination to enlist, and eventually
went to France, with the Twenty-eighth Engineers. He saw a good deal of
hard work there, under exciting conditions, and during the battle of
the Argonne was severely wounded in the legs. He was sent to Base
Hospital No. 3, and there stayed for fourteen weeks. After returning to
this country he was at Camp Upton for a little while, and was finally
honorably discharged, in 1919, having reached the grade of master
engineer, the highest paid non-commissioned rank in the United States
army. After discharge, he returned to his native place and to civil
M. O'Mahoney Company continued to be run by the O'Mahoney family, first by Edward and then by his two sisters until the early 1960's, when it was purchased by Bob Lesser. Bob ran the business successfully until the mid-1970's when he sold the company, still situated on West Street in Lawrence, MA to Lawrence "Larry" Morrison. Lawrence ran the business successfully until he sold it to Salvatore D'Agata in 1985.
Salvatore D'Agata, immigrated to the United States in 1961 with his family from Sicily. His family settled in Lawrence and strong ties to the community began to form. Salvatore graduated from Central Catholic High School in 1969 and attended college for a number of years. Upon leaving college, Salvatore or "Sam" as he is known, followed his father's footsteps into the construction industry first as a mason, and then as a home builder. After many years of building homes throughout Cape Ann and Merrimack Valley regions, Sam decided to take a chance on supplying construction materials.
Sam purchased the M.O'Mahoney Company, which was still situated at 6 West Street in Lawrence, MA and within 2 years relocated the company to its present location of 175 Market Street Lawrence, MA. With greater access to the highway and more room to grow the business, Sam successfully grew the business and added landscape products to the masonry and building products already being supplied to his clients.
In 1997, he was joined by his son Stephen full time, who up until that point had worked summers at the company. In 2001, his son Fred joined the company full time, also having worked there previously during summers.
The D'Agata family is proud to call the M.O'Mahoney Company a family owned and operated business that caters to homeowners, contractors and builders alike. We take pride in continuing the rich heritage of the company as well as the strong local ties to the surrounding communities. We service the entire Merrimack Valley and beyond, with our reach encompassing all six New England states and New York. We source products from throughout the country and overseas in an effort to give our customers a great selection of natural stone, landscape and masonry materials.
Anyone that walks into our showroom will always find one of the D'Agata family members present and happy to assist anybody with a project to complete. We look forward to meeting you!